Monday 2 February 2009

Jennie Harbour, Illustrator

It is so easy to get distracted...
to start with good intentions
and then wander off down
the small lanes of the Internet.

I hope that this weakness is not unique to me.

The Queen And Her Magic Mirror

You would have to have a heart of stone
not to be distracted by
the illustrations of Jennie Harbour.

So what can Mr Google tell us about her?


Snow White and the Seven Dwarves

She published briefly in the 1920s
and provided illustrations for Raphael Tuck,
a renowned printer of illustrated postcards.

The Lady And Her White Fawn Are Surprised By A Strange Apparition

That is all...
no dates,
no picture,
no leads to later work.

Zelie And The Fairy Candide

Look at the composition,
the vibrant colour and Art Deco patterns,
the energy and emotion of the paintings.

Cinderella Runs Away From The Ball.

Imagine such talent
vanishing without trace.


Little Red Riding Hood

Her postcards and illustrated books
are valuable collectors items these days.

Bluebeard Alarms The Sisters

Did she die young?
Did she give up painting?
I would love to know.



Hansel and Gretel

17 comments:

Lynn said...

Omigosh, did you see the first edition of her fairy tale book at eBay? The calligraphy is almost as beautiful as her illustrations. It's mind-boggling that she just went poof! back into the ethers -- perhaps she was a fairy herself? Thank you for sharing her with us.

Christy said...

wow, those are amazing!

Unknown said...

Right up my street! - just love the one with the white fawn - thank you so much for sharing, you've made my morning with these, absolutely exquisite :o)

Gina said...

These are so beautiful. I'm sure I had a couple of postcards of her illustrations when I was a student - I wonder where I've squirrelled them away?

JuliaB said...

gosh! what a mystery indeed!! and what beautiful pictures. xx

dragonfly said...

Stunning pictures. I might include some in my children's illustrators file. I particularly love the Hansel and Gretel one, such movement.

trash said...

Oh I am such a Philistine! I just wonder why she was walking through the woods with a white fawn? Is that an East Coast thing? Most of us 'round here just walk our dogs!

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you get easily distracted, Alice.

We all benefit from your wanderings.

Jennie Harbour's work is mesmerizing.

How could one not be distracted by all that movement and emotion?

Mary said...

I love the happiness of Hansel and Gretel (although of course it could be fear!)...

You are not alone. I should be asleep but here I am wending my way through the net..

Ruthie Redden said...

Oh thank goodnesss, i am not the only one wandering off! But in this case am so glad i did, these illustrations are so beautiful! thank you

RW said...

Oh. You are not alone.

Anonymous said...

Top post MrsM - normally she is v focussed (1 s or 2??) but I am glad she had a wander. I am not in good books at present as I went off with a shovel in the boot and fingers crossed

Anonymous said...

How very interesting. There really are things that are just not on the internet. There must be a way to find out who she was and where she went. Now I'm interested.

silverpebble said...

Beautiful - I had never heard of her. I love the whimsical titles - especially the lady and her white fawn - quite comical really. Stunning work. Thanks Alice

The Coffee Lady said...

So beautiful - you are such a wonderful Magpie. I find such twaddle on the internet to get distracted by. I need you to find these lovely things instead.

Anonymous said...

I would have to say, this post was very visually stimulating. Thanks for sharing it and adding your words of wisdom.

Lyn said...

You are not the only one to go drifting off folowing one site afteer another till before you know it a whole afternoon has passed and there is a faint smell of burning coming from the oven!
Lyn