Wednesday 29 April 2009

Falmouth


You can't see the house where I grew up
because it is just around the bend in the river
on the left hand side.

You can see the house that I could see
from my bedroom window.
It is the last house, low on the waterline,
on the right hand side.

You can see the quay where we caught the tiny ferry,
and the house with the salt and pepper chimneys
that we walked past to get to the beach.

I haven't been back many times
but if you love a place
you never really leave.

Photo by Hilary G.
who has a wonderful collection of skirts.
She now lives and works in Penryn.
I miss hearing her laughter
in the corridor outside my office.

14 comments:

Unknown said...

What a lovely place to grow up Alice! It is just beautiful.

Anonymous said...

always a Fal gal !

Unknown said...

Your roots never really leave you - as I always say about myself "You can take a girl out of Yorkshire, but you can never take Yorkshire out of the girl" I guess the same must apply to Cornwall

dottycookie said...

Well, what a lovely place to grow up! My window looked out on a suburban railway line, which is rather less romantic but I still have very fond memories of it.

kristina said...

What a wonderful place to grow up!

And I know just what you mean about feeling attached to a place. That's just how I feel about Williamstown in Massachusetts.

K x

eurolush said...

What a charming and picturesque little piece of heaven!

I would expect nothing less of the town where Alice grew up.

M said...

That certainly does look like a lovely place. So peaceful.

carolyn said...

Oh Alice you brought a tear to my eye with "but if you love a place
you never really leave".

Anonymous said...

I'd like to sit on a river bank and look at the last house, low on the waterline, on the right hand side, but only if you'd sit with me.

The Coffee Lady said...

So, so, so very blue! I'm almost dizzy.

How beautiful.

Gina said...

Such a beautiful place to grow up. No wonder you feel as though you've never left. I'm from the East End of London and have no desire to go back!

Anonymous said...

I can see another Falmouth, similarly blue, from the bedroom window at my mother's house!

Allison said...

Wonderful post--I love sharing with my son about all of the great things I remember growing up in my home town. What an exquisite place to be a child!

Jude said...

I lived in Penryn until 6 years ago. According to Jackie of DogDaisyChain we have something else in common too.