Tuesday 8 January 2008

Comfort Food (I)

Saffron Cake from Cornwall

Shop-bought but still delicious for a winter's tea.
It is not a soft texture like fresh bread
but dense and slightly flaky
with a faint taste of saffron.

I stumbled across Baking for Britain before Christmas
and promised myself that when the holidays ended
I would spend some time reading through the archives.
It is a treasure house of obscure local recipes
such as Tunbridge Wells Wafers.

Now I can spend less time cooking
and more time reading about food.
It is not so much fun but there is no washing-up.

4 comments:

tess said...

no calories either!!

Tracy said...

Sorry to have missed some of your recent posts...such fun the city scenes! This cake looks sooo good. I am suddenly itching for something sweet...Down, girl! LOL! Happy week ((HUGS))

dottycookie said...

That is a marvellous find - thank you for passing it on. Cake day is usually Saturday (closely followed by "did we really eat all that?!" day on Sunday). Tunbridge Wells Wafers just have to be made!

Ginnie said...

I'll second driftwood's motion - easier on the waistline.