Tuesday 22 April 2008

Creative Writing

Just for once, I was careless and mentioned my writing.
Not my blog, you must understand.
My writing.

This was braver than you might imagine
because she is a Poet and Creative Writing Tutor.

As soon as the words were out of my mouth
I wanted to scrabble around in the air between us
and frantically drag them back to me.
I did not want that 'writing' word to cross the room.

She, of the extraordinary red necklace,
was generosity personified
and offered to look at the work I had mentioned.

I thought about throwing myself out of the window
to avoid this embarrassing experience
but decided that MrM needed someone to iron his shirts.

She, of the beautiful red and black skirt,
said very kind things.
I am sure that even if it was total drivel
she would still have said kind things.

Later, she, of the knee high, elegant, black buckled boots,
gave me two books to read.

This one fits in my handbag
and I read it in small snatches.
I cannot read it all at one go
because then the sense of the ridiculous creeps in

"Why am I reading a book about writing?
I am not a writer
Am I?"

16 comments:

Sian said...

It is funny how writing creeps up on one :)

blackbird said...

You certainly are a writer...and a photographer too.

Mary said...

Exactly what blackbird said.

Ali said...

Of course you are.

driftwood said...

you are anything you want to be.

Joanne said...

I know far too well the fear of saying that you are a writer, because that hallowed term belongs to other more legitimate people, and what you do is some sort of private scribbling. I couldn't even say it while I was doing my MA, which is absurd, but the truth is that the only thing that matters is how you feel when you're writing, and when you're writing, you are most definitely a writer.

Enjoy Natalie :)

carolyn said...

Well you are writing aren't you?

Anonymous said...

go back and read through your archives - you'll find writing there - that should answer your question...

dottycookie said...

Gosh, you are brave. It must have felt a bit like standing naked in public view - not that I'd know, but ... oh I give up. No-one's going to give me any writing books, that's for sure.

Anyway, we're all reading, so I think you know the answer already.

(I was going to be flippant, but it seemed rather inappropriate ;-)

RW said...

I would answer affirmatively. Yes,indeed you are a writer.

Eleanor said...

You have me completely intrigued. The red necklace, the skirt, the boots....there's a character there winking at me from your post. I think she wants to be written into a short story, or a poem, or another post. Write on. Please.

Florence Knapp (Flossie Teacakes) said...

Yes, of course you are. Why else do you wake before everyone else in the house to steal the time to write your beautiful words on this blog? The satisfaction you get from playing with the words until you have just a few perfectly formed sentences seems to suggest that a writer is very much living in your body, even if you're not aware of it. x

Unknown said...

I would say you are.
And a rather good one.

Anonymous said...

I think you are.

Ginnie said...

Oh yes you are!

Ginnie said...

And early on, didn't I say I thought you should publish a book - and I'll be first in line?