Saturday 19 April 2008

Dinner in The House

I had dinner in the Houses of Parliament last night.

Yes! Truly, I did!
I have never been there before
and I have come home enthused
by Pugin and the High Gothic style.

I sat opposite a man who climbed the Tower of Canterbury Cathedral with friends and hung a For Sale sign at the top. They were at school at the time and the next morning they were called before the Headmaster.

He glared at them and said
"You are all rusticated - do you have any questions?"

One of the boys looked confused
"What does rusticated mean, Sir?"

"It means you are suspended, you twit...
and while I am on the subject of twits...
you left your Cash's name tape on the sheet, you twit."


And today I must go shopping
because we have no food in the fridge
and tonight we are eating a ham sandwich
in front of the TV
as a special treat.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a life you lead- ham sandwiches in front of the TV - yum!

dottycookie said...

I always loved the word rusticated - I never wanted to find out about it at first hand, you understand, but it does sound marvellous.

Is there anything on TV tonight? I've all but given up. Last night I gave up and went to bed instead. Your evening sounds far more rewarding! I do have a funny mental image of you lifting up your camera and surreptitiously (and how I wish I hadn't tried to spell that) snapping away at pudding ...

Mary said...

From the sublime to the truly sublime - ham sandwich in front of the TV - excellent!

blackbird said...

Yes, that's the way life is. One dinner in the House and one in front of the television.

You DO get around.

Eleanor said...

But I need to know what you WORE to the dinner at the Houses of Parliament. And will you be wearing pyjamas while eating your sandwich in front of the tv?

I'm just like that.

Ali said...

You really do get around a bit (in a good way!). I personally will be eating in front of the telly tonight because I am addicted to hopeless rality TV find-a-Nancy type shows. Naff, I know - I don't think they'll be inviting me to dine at the HoP any time soon.

driftwood said...

ham sandwiches in front of the tv sounds pretty good to me, and you don't have to stress about which fork to use, and if you have a story which can follows tales of rustication.......
on the other hand that desert does look exceedingly good....

Anonymous said...

I love the dichotomy between dinner at the House of Parliamnet one night, and dinner at home with a ham sandwich the next.

But what I love most of all, is living vicariously through your post.

What an exciting life you lead!

carrie said...

Hey, it's okay. Tonight we're having tomato soup as a special treat because my husband is at work and he despises it! :)

Margaret said...

The story about the Tower of Canterbury Cathedral made me laugh!

Thank you for the comments on my blog. I'm glad that I've discovered yours! I haven't been to Parliament since highschool--how nice to have dinner there! Your post has inspired me--I need to write a post about Pugin tomorrow!

~Margaret

Fairlie - www.feetonforeignlands.com said...

Rusticated! We used to get rusticated at boarding school, and I haven't heard that word since!