Wednesday 2 April 2008

Musings...

I have just read a diatribe about
The Evils of Blogging
which claims that it sucks the creative lifeblood
out of the poor saps
who get drawn into The Evil Blogosphere.

mmm.....

Well, I admit that it takes time to think up posts...

And write posts
And read comments
And respond to comments
And read other people’s blogs
And write interesting and informed comments.

In that time I could be sleeping,
watching television, ironing, playing solitaire, joining Facebook (just kidding), going to the gym, washing the kitchen floor, writing delightful letters to my family, reading glossy magazines, putting my photos into albums, making tiebacks for my curtains,
pruning my roses.

Now, let’s imagine
I decided that I wanted to transform my time allocation
and Give Up Blogging...

Would I use the time for
creative projects that will make my fortune?
No
Would I use the time to
leave a creative legacy for future generations.?
No
Would I do any of those other things?
No

Blogging suits my style of writing
and fits into the tiny cracks of free time that I have
so for the meanwhile I am sticking with
The Evil Blogosphere

I will let you know
when I decide to go off
and create
A Work of Art.


(I just wish it was called something else
because I am starting to have a problem
with the B-Word)



edited to add

I should have acknowledged
Sian as the originator of this thread.
I apologise.
If you would like to read the original diatribe you can find the link
here

16 comments:

Unknown said...

Ok it does take time - but hey! life's just too short to stuff mushrooms so you might as well take time to do something you enjoy

tess said...

indeed!
you're right about the b word too, being a blogger sounds almost like an insult.... maybe you could write your next post about alternative names ........

dottycookie said...

Oh well, at least it allowed the author to enjoy the cathartic benefits of spewing out their vitriol. I expect they feel much better for it and are now leading a happy and creatively fulfilling life.

Or something.

Sian said...

I like the gentleness of blog writing. Maybe nothing important, no works of art as you say, but there is camaraderie and that is a good thing I think.

Marmadaisy said...

I live in a very isolated spot in Snowdonia. I love reading other people's blogs, because it gives me another community to belong to. No, it doesn't replace my "real" friends but it suits me too. I love your beautiful b***!

blackbird said...

Online journal?
Independent Postings?
A Tiny Extension of The BBC?

Phase 64 of "blogging":
the insistence of other people that blogging is a waste of one's time.

Lina said...

I needed to hear that Alice, thank you!

Ali said...

Personally, I've never been part of something with MORE creative lifeblood in evidence.

Although my next post may well detail the contents of my handbag, which is, I suspect, precisely the sort of thing the diatribe alluded to.

Hey ho.

Anonymous said...

Without blogging I would never have met you Alice. Or get to hear about you, your family, or the zen of Poppy. I'll be forever grateful for this, our creative outlet.

Anonymous said...

Eclecticism rules ok !

Lynn said...

Alice, is that article available to read somewhere? Just curious.

As for me, I find that, er, "electronic journaling" serves beautifully to give me a creative outlet in the teensy amount of time I have to myself after the wee ones have gone to bed. Writing a novel is not an option, unless I don't mind it taking a couple of decades to complete.

Said "B" activity also chronicles our family life and development way better than those (neglected) baby books ever would. What's more, it helps me to see the beauty in the mundane, tedious details of day-to-day life -- something that Zen Master Poppy surely would applaud.

Carry on, I say, and phooey on the curmudgeons!

Florence Knapp (Flossie Teacakes) said...

Oh...you have stolen all the fun by not linking to the diatribe! Joking - it is a sign of being a nice person.

I share your problem with the 'b' word - I cringe when I say it and as a word it feels clumsy and ugly...it sounds like something that football fans might shout on their way home from the pub...

Mary said...

I do all those things you listed that you could be doing instead of blogging.



NOT!

Anonymous said...

A blog is a window to the thoughts of a person. I thik every one should have one. It would be so much easier to appreciate the motivation of others and to find like-minded souls.

And bugger the ironing! No one says 'she's well pressed' when describing another person!

Jane said...

Funny how there is always someone saying that whatever it is you like doing is a waste of time whether it is making cupcakes, growing vegetables or writing weblogs.
I also have the word blog and tendto say weblog more - less troll like,
J
x

Ginnie said...

So funny! I agree that there are so many upsides to, uh, whatever it is we're calling it - and, like everything in life, a few downsides. I'm so glad I've found this outlet and the friends I've made. The writing and the sharing are really wonderful.