Saturday 7 June 2008

My Patchwork Quilt.

This is my patchwork quilt
this vital thing of many pieces.

Old, new, patterned, plain,
dark, light, familiar, strange.

Each piece carefully selected
and sewn with tight stitches.

At first the eye is drawn to detail,
one piece attracts and then another,
and the pattern is not obvious.

Standing back, it is clear that it radiates,
starlike, from the centre.

I saw how it would be
from the beginning;
it lay clear before me
in the late nights and early mornings.

I knew that if I worked patiently,
day after day,
this quilt, this precious patchwork quilt,
this vital thing of many pieces,
would be complete.

13 comments:

Melody said...

Oh that was lovely. You have such a way with words and pictures. It makes me cherish all moments with my Monet and how I do look forward to her growing up too... Life is grand.

Maryam in Marrakesh said...

You are clearly a master craftsman. All that time and dedication and tight stitching and thoughtful touches have paid off!

Anonymous said...

The very last stitch is never quite sewn. There's always another thread to tug and draw you back in...

Mary said...

I love that you had a picture of MrM with your words that it radiates from the centre...

A human quilt with love at its centre.

blackbird said...

Such a beautiful post.
And on a Saturday,
no less.

driftwood said...

what a lovely idea, of quilt of a families and memories, all detailed in a year of blogging.

happy blog birthday Alice, hope the next year is full of more lovely family memories for you. xx

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful post! Ilove all your pictures :)

dragonfly said...

Just fabulous...
Miss M is just like you!

Lynn said...

Happy blogging anniversary, Alice! What a beautiful post and a beautiful family.

Unknown said...

How right you are - a patchwork quilt, different colours and textured all slotting together in a beautiful pattern

Anonymous said...

A belated happiest of birthdays to your blog. I really enjoy reading every post, and am so happy to have found you.

Your family is beautiful, your writing "voice" is wonderful and your photography is spectacular...Congratulations, Alice! I eagerly look forward to another year...

dottycookie said...

Your blog'ds birthday is the day before mine (my actual one, not my blog one). I can't tell you how glad I am I read today's post before this one otr I would have been fretting about you feeling your blog was complete *all night*.

I can't believe it's only been a year. Goodness.

Anonymous said...

gorgeous. Simply gorgeous.