Wednesday 12 December 2007

The Inner Child

I collect children's books
and I have a particular weakness for the limited editions
that are published at Christmas.

Christmas - The King James Version
Illustrated by Jan Pienkowski

They allow me to reach that hidden part
that remains a child.

"The Night Before Christmas" by Clement C. Moore
Illustrated by Niroot Puttapipat

The part of me that still believes
I shall sleep in an iron bedstead on Christmas Eve
And, waking, find snow outside the window.

"Lanterns Across The Snow" by Susan Hill
Illustrated by Kathleen Lindsley

Father Christmas will leave the doll
that I have dreamed of

"The Story of Holly & Ivy" by Rumer Godden
Illustrated by Christian Birmingham

And the carved figures in the Nativity
will tell the story of Christmas
for the very first time.

"The Christmas Miracle of Jonathan Toomey" by Susan Wojciechowski
Illustrated by P. J. Lynch

6 comments:

Mary said...

Jan Pienkowski - an amazing illustrator.

I am reading the Railway Children to Margot each night (not Christmassy I know) and it is beautifully illustrated. I just love that story.

Anonymous said...

I too have a weakness for children's books I'm rather afraid that I never ever grew out of them, of course the picture books are extra special, works of art encased between two covers.
Carolyn
willow house

blackbird said...

I cannot even GLANCE at that bottom illustration without sobbing.

Do you know Santa Calls? It's excellent...

Unknown said...

The last one you mentioned (I'm too lazy to type out the title) is one of our favourite Christmas books - we have a big box I've collected since my eldest was small and they come out with the perpetual advent calendars on 1st December - sadly mine aren't first editions - but just as loved

Anonymous said...

De-lurking to say, I love it when you blog about books! The great thing about Rumer Godden is that she wrote brilliant adult novels, too. The Greengage Summer is one of my favourites.

alice c said...

Welcome Nicci! MissM is a great fan of Rumer Godden and so we have the whole range. I don't think she has seen Black Narcissus - so perhaps that is a treat for this Chrsitmas.